A campaign message from Dr Louise Irvine
First of all this message is to say thank you. I have been overwhelmed by the support I have received from all areas of the country since I was selected last Saturday to represent the progressive alliance in SW Surrey against Jeremy Hunt. I promise that I shall do my very best to deserve it.
When I first started having talks on behalf of our party with the other parties in SW Surrey I felt very much that NHA were contributors to a bigger picture, rather than about to take centre stage. Which is why I would like to explain to you that we are still a small party and largely run by volunteer time and energy in order to put the bulk our funds into campaigning. So I apologise because it is quite difficult to reply to everyone's offers of help individually, though we are trying our best.
NHA's campaign team will be sending out regular messages to the whole of our membership to let you know when and where to meet to help in the constituency if you are able and I am building a local constituency team to carry us through the whole campaign.
There are different ways you can help:
- Donations of course! Elections are very expensive things. We have set up a crowdfunder.
- Circulating our appeals for 'feet on the ground' and donations round social media, friends and family.
- Coming to help out 'on the stump' as and when you can - that is to say coming to put leaflets through doors, knock on doors to make sure people are registered to vote and are going to get out to vote. 'Getting out the vote' is often the hardest bit of any campaign, no matter how well the publicity is going.
- Signing up to our SW Surrey NHA mailing list if you are local and can commit more than an occasional day.
- Join the party to get regular updates on Louise's campaign and all of our candidates.
I am excited and grateful and a bit daunted, but I am very much looking forward to getting this started on the ground in the constituency.
Next campaign meeting times are
Mulberry Pub, Station Hill, Farnham, Surrey, GU9 8AD at 1pm
Star Inn, 17 Church Street, Godalming, GU7 1EL at 4pm
Please come and join me and the campaign team.
From next week we should be able to give you more advance notice of where and when we are meeting. We will do this as we do all our election campaigns - we will meet up in a coffee shop or maybe a pub where we will have leaflets and posters and other materials to give out to volunteers with directions about which areas to cover. If the day goes well and we have time, we meet up for a bit of a chat and a social get together at the end of the day too. Please email us to stay in touch.
To recap - if you want to come and help from outside the area keep in touch with our NHA campaign team will send out updates and you can just turn up. If you are local in or near the constituency and can offer more regular help then please sign up to our SW Surrey NHA group.
I am a doctor and being a doctor makes me a realist. This campaign is a long shot, but the only thing that can transform it into reality is enough people on my team, on the streets of SW Surrey convincing the voters that this is worth it. I'm putting my faith in you to help me do that.
I look forward to meeting you in the fight to end Jeremy Hunt's destructive reign over our NHS.
Some press about Louise